Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Stem Cell Victory

Yes, I am excited about the stem cell news!!! With three exclamation points. I already love Obama, and this makes me love him more.

Do I think it will lead to a cure in 5 years? Um, no.

Like many others, I was told upon my type 1 diagnosis that we would have a cure within 5 years. That was 21 years ago.

Let me be clear: I am not bitter.

I'm thankful for all the incredible advances that have come along in those 21 years. I'm thankful that I'm not dealing with diabetes 100 years ago or even 50 years. It was a very different Diabetes World back then. I'm thankful that I'm healthy and happy, that my family and friends are loving and supportive, and that when he sees me grab a baby Dr. Pepper out of the fridge, my husband doesn't think twice before saying, "Is your blood sugar low?"

But mostly, I'm hopeful for all the kids with newly diagnosed diabetes. Maybe someday stem cell research will help a little girl who is diagnosed on St. Patrick's Day, like I was. Maybe someday stem cell research will save the lives of my kids. Maybe it will improve life for my friend, N, who was diagnosed with MS at age 26.

Am I unrealistically optimistic? No.

Am I hopeful? Excited? Thinking this is a step in the right direction? Yes, yes, and yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment